Monday, June 14, 2010

Can I make you a cocktail?



Today was, quite simply, center of the sun hot. The kind of hot that at the end of the day you should treat yourself to a fruity beverage because you have made the effort to just walk around and ‘be’ kind of hot. While at the grocery store, procuring dinner, I texted Jim ‘Margarita?’, he responded ‘Yum’.


Historically, I’m not a huge margarita fan. I’ve had way too many neon, sugar coated, doughnut level calorie laden Carmen Mirandas posing as beverages. I normally drink black coffee, water (no ice) and wine, in that order. Even the five years I lived in Texas could not bring me across the fence to embrace the margarita.


One day while having a laid back lunch at Holy Taco we had the ‘organic‘ margaritas. That cocktail was and is what I think a margarita should be; it stood up, gave me a firm handshake, looked me in the eye and said ‘I am tequila, lime juice and triple sec’. I enjoyed it so much I went back there for seconds and thirds until I decided it was time to formulate my own recipe. I did this in anticipation of Jim’s birthday in March. We were taking a few people to Mi Barrio for his birthday dinner and had invited them for drinks at our house prior. The race was on to refine it.


We have been drinking it ever since; not everyday, just in case you were wondering. I have to say I think it’s solid, it’s not exactly like the one at Holy Taco, but darn tasty in it’s own right, especially if you don’t have the sugar gene in your DNA. Now, I’m not a Republican, but in my mind this is what Laura Bush would serve at the Crawford ranch. She seems like a no nonsense lady - who, it has been reported, really likes a margarita.


Margarita on the rocks - Serves 4


3 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice (2-3 limes)

3 oz. triple sec or Cointreau

6 oz. tequila (we use Hornitos silver)

1 tablespoon agave nectar (you can also use simple syrup but reduce the measurement to 1 teaspoon)


Put everything in a cocktail shaker with ice, shake for 30 seconds pour/strain into glasses with ice.


Notes: For the fresh lime juice I have an electric citrus juicer. I know this sounds like a crazy kitchen tool that won’t be used, like a bread maker - but I use it, almost every 2 weeks. The one I have cost $30.


As for the agave nectar, it seems a little pricey at about $7 for 23.5 oz., and it can be found in the peanut butter and jelly aisle next to the honey, but it’s not as sweet as honey or simple syrup. It’s useful and I would recommend investing in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment